This is a tough week. With Valentine’s day tonight and 3 days on the road the rest of the week, restaurants will once again become my kitchen. Will I have to endure big salads? Gosh, I hope not!
I’ve been lucky in keeping my travel light so far. Only two trips. But, I’m getting into my typical groove with San Fran, FL, Seattle, KY, Canada, and Vegas all coming up. I had a good strategy at the beginning of my healthy lifestyle and weight loss effort, but this is going to be the true test.
Here it goes, my plan is…
- Pack running shoes, running pants, shorts and t-shirt(s). I’ve staked out the gym situation and can reasonably get there in the morning or night for my hour of treadmill/elliptical work. If the weather is nicer (FL!!!!) I’m heading out for my first real run. Will I make it through a mile without complaining? Let’s hope, no, let’s say I will!
- Pack swim suit. FL and Vegas have pools so why not try a few laps? At a minimum I can get into the hot baths in the spa to ease the aching of what I surely will do to my legs while over working them in my excitement of running outside.
- People watch. I’ve never been to KY and in Vegas it is just too hilarious to ignore the casino goers. I need to just get out for a little stroll and take things in. I have an RV road trip over the summer down to Nashville so maybe I can check out what’s around Louisville to have an idea of things to do for a quick stop. Vegas, maybe I’ll just snap a few pictures and share. 🙂
- Nuts in snack baggies. This worked on my Munich trip so I’m doing it again. 4 points in a bag and just enough crunch and sweet to make me happy.
- Flight out with veggies, hummus and cheese. Another lesson learned that keep me on the straight and narrow. It also let me save on points and calories so when I couldn’t keep on track or wasn’t sure if I was on track I had the wiggle room.
- Fish is starting to grow on me. I’m liking grilled salmon a lot. With the right seasoning and no butter, it hits the spot. Those grilled shrimp skewers and mussels in wine and garlic are also pretty good. With a salad or loaded up on veggies, I don’t feel deprived.
- Hold on to some low point, low calorie dessert. I’ve been keeping room for something sweet or chocolaty at the end of the day. I made mini-brownies, toast up apples and parmesan on a fajita tortilla spread with strawberry jam, or have a sugar free cup of chocolate pudding. I’m going to keep a few bite size chocolates on me for the evening sweet.
- A salad a day keeps the fat away. Yes, still going for the salad meal. I need to just get over the fact that this is a lifestyle change I need to make. Would I rather have KFC? Of course! Do I want to look like the vat of fat they use to fry the chicken? NO! So, hello salad lunch.